Oncomedicine 2017; 2:93-101. doi:10.7150/oncm.19157
Colorectal Cancer from Molecular Pathways to Gene Therapy
1. Surgery Department, Interbalkan European Medical Center, Thessaloniki, Greece;
2. Pulmonary Deparment-Oncology Unit, Drug Design and Development Laboratory, “G. Papanikolaou” General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece;
3. Oncology Department, Interbalkan European Medical Center, Thessaloniki, Greece;
4. Radiotherapy Department, “AHEPA” University General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece;
5. Third Surgery Department, “AHEPA” University General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.
6. Laboratory of Proteomics and Protein Sciences, Veterans Affair Health System, Baltimore, MD, USA.
Nowadays colorectal cancer is still considered the third most common cancer in the world. The tumorigenesis mechanisms of colorectal cancer have been widely studied at a molecular level. It has been observed that morbidity and mortality caused by colorectal cancer impacts on the global economy. This occurs through the loss of productivity and the burden on the healthcare system. Therefore an effort is made by several researchers to expend considerably their resources to develop treatments and preventative strategies to reduce the incidence of colorectal cancer. A Large-scale sequencing of genome, proteome, microbiome, and transcriptome analyses of colorectal cancer tissue has allowed researchers to better understand colorectal cancer subtypes. Until now the following parameters have been identified with the etiology of colorectal cancer genetic mutations, inflammatory processes, diet, and the gut microbes. In the current review we will present the molecular pathways of CRC and discuss novel gene therapy approaches.
Keywords: gene therapy, molecular pathways, colorectal cancer.
Kosmidis C, Zarogoulidis P, Efthimidis G, Baka S, Efthimiadis C, Tzitzikas I, Michalopoulos N, Sapalidis K, Man YG, Kesisoglou I. Colorectal Cancer from Molecular Pathways to Gene Therapy. Oncomedicine 2017; 2:93-101. doi:10.7150/oncm.19157. Available from http://www.oncm.org/v02p0093.htm